Friday, February 16, 2018

an update + garden thoughts

Hey friends! It's been a while since I have taken the time to visit this space. I think I should admit that the idea of blogging on any platform other than tumblr is quite intimidating! There's an unspoken pressure for photos to be edited & lovely. For words to be eloquent & thoughtful. For the layout of the page be simple but beautiful. I can't maintain that kind of blog. I need a space to clear out thoughts, ideas and to keep track of this wild life before it all passes right before my eyes. I need a space to just be real. And that's what I hope this brings for me.

Since the last time I posted we've had some ups and downs. At the end of the summer, about a week after India turned 2, my appendix ruptured leaving me essentially out of service until about mid November. Then came the blur of birthdays and holidays, lots of cold snaps and a bit of cabin fever and now we are here. And after two days of unusually warm weather I am in full spring planning mode! I drew out our garden and made a plan and am about to place my seed order from Sow True Seeds in Asheville.

Here is what we are planning on growing this year:

Vegetables-

Bush beans
Beets
Carrots
Cucumbers
Kale
Lettuce
Peppers
Spinach
Summer squash
Swiss chard
Tomatoes
Turnips

Herbs-

Basil
Catnip
Chamomile
Dill
Lavender
Lemon balm
Stinging nettle
Parsley
Sage
Thyme
Valerian

Last year was our first garden and it was pretty okay, in my opinion. This year I'm hoping for more abundance so I can try out preservation skills! Byron is also working on a big screened in run for our chickens since we have lost two flocks to predators this winter. Our first year of chicken owning has been quite heart breaking. I will be glad to get a new flock and be absolutely sure that they are safe!

We also have a lot of new plans & goals that we are working on such as becoming debt free and manifesting that perfect piece of property to purchase so that we can start working on our dream homestead. I also start my first season of leading Tinkergarten classes next month so I'm excited to really be able to contribute to my community through bringing children together outside to learn through play!

I can't wait to share more of what's happening in our lives here. I can't help but feel like 2018 is going to hold great things for this sweet family of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

an update + garden thoughts

Hey friends! It's been a while since I have taken the time to visit this space. I think I should admit that the idea of blogging on any ...