Thursday, July 6, 2017

blackberry picking


Today I found out that a local orchard had u pick blackberries! And like the totally persistent wife that I am, I begged Byron to let us go when he got off work. And like the totally awesome husband that he is, he agreed! Honestly, I have been really waiting to get my blueberry picking on, but those babies are taking forever to get ready!


So on this particular day, we were that family who showed up 20 minutes before they closed ready to pick some blackberries! Byron had to take a "dirt road detour", which are one of my not so favorite things, but whatever, we all have our vices. A man came out from the beautiful farm house style home on the property and met us down by the "blackberry shelter" tent in front of a beautiful pond with a small area for chickens, goats and donkeys. It was picturesque. 




Luckily he seemed to have no problem with the fact that we underestimated how long it takes to pick a half gallon of blackberries, because we didn't leave until almost an hour after they closed. Which the kind man seemed to have no problem with, he even brought out Scout some water and chatted with us for a while.



Avery had a half gallon basket and I was holding another. I was motivated to fill my basket for fresh fruit, frozen fruit, to try to make some jam and maybe even a pie. Avery was satisfied with searching intently for the perfect berries for her basket (which is why it only ended up about 1/8th full) and India was very content just pulling ripe blackberries right off the vine to munch while following where everyone else was going.



The orchard is actually an apple orchard and they open up in August for apple picking. We tried an orchard last year, but I think Byron and I can both agree that this is the one we would like to visit this fall.


We are all loving berry picking season. We have two raspberry bushes in our backyard that Byron and Avery love to collect fresh berries from. Today they brought in a whole bowl-ful! I feel so grateful to live in an area with such abundance. I feel so grateful to live a life with such abundance.


Purple fingers and a purple face, a perfect way to end a blackberry picking adventure!

Thank you to Byron for capturing these wonderful moments that we shared so that I can share them here <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

an update + garden thoughts

Hey friends! It's been a while since I have taken the time to visit this space. I think I should admit that the idea of blogging on any ...